Monday 20 February 2012

The Star



The orange hall smelt of sand
I felt like a boat longing for land
Following the dandelions along the path
I came to a woman covered in glass

Her watery eyes were frozen and bright
Reminiscent of moonlight swallowing night
Her hair was golden and made of the sun
And she held out a candle and beckoned me 'Come'

She brought me to a meadow hemmed in with stars
Where forested moonlight bounced off the flowers
The air was thick, silent and damp
And I followed her shadow like a moth to a lamp

Barn owls and nightingales flew from her hair
And fireflies flickered like lights at a fair
I felt like I was sealed in a basket of light
As her touch in front of me dispersed through the night

All around us, spirits did dance
And I walked through the forest like one in a trance
The world was alive, burning and free
The world was alive, and existed in me

We came to a clearing under the moon
And she looked at me briefly and said it was soon
I begged and pleaded her not to go away
But she said to me kindly that I had to stay

Remember this moment, remember this dance
Remember this forest, remember this trance
Don't forget all that you've seen
Don't forget that it's all just a dream

And then she was gone and I was alone
And in her darkness I made my home
I went back to the world and lived in disguise
But in the midst of forgetting I still see those eyes

They flash upon me sometimes, when I lie in my bed
And remember the kingdom that exists in my head
I listen to the raindrops that fall on the roof
And smile to myself secretly
And rejoice in the truth

No comments: